2/11/11

Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals

After a long period of time, some couples can speak without using words. However, the signals sent are not always the signals received

Take today for instance. As my family was finishing up lunch, Sarah looked at me and made a gesture with her eyes. I was not getting her signal. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Finally she said that she was trying to tell me how our daughters cold was affecting her eating. I then sahred how I thought she was asking if I wanted more food. Our daughter then popped up that she thought Mom was saying we need to chat in the other room!

We all got a good laugh.

Not so funny is when I miss the things the Lord is trying to communicate to me. It seems I miss the point from time to time with Him as well. In prayer I might ask the Lord for direction and when I get silence (wait, no) I move. When I feel He is saying move (go talk to that person, etc.) I wait.

Sometimes it's because I am not setting aside my own distractions to listen clearly. Sometimes, dare i say, I think I know the answer or what I want the answer to be so I act accordingly. Occasionally I don' move out of fear.

The Bible talks a LOT about listening. Of course, to be a good listener I need to be silent more. It is hard to hear what someone is saying when you keep trying to talk over them.

It just leads to confusion.

Lord, please help me to be a good listener. I want to hear your voice better!

James 1:19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;

No comments: