1/28/12

Just A Minute

Do you remember the words and kind acts that encouraged you when you were young? Who was the adult that spoke into your life? Hopefully, they spoke words of love and acceptance that encouraged you to explore an interest or talent that is uniquely yours.

This was the question Wess Stafford, President of Compassion International, posed back in October of 2010. I wrote about just such a moment and was contacted by author Dean Merrill who was working with Wess on his new book, Just a Minute.

After chatting with Dean Merrill, I was informed they would be using my story in Wess Stafford's book. I received my copy in the mail this week. I was tickled to see the story under the heading Surprise in the Drawer. I am re-posting my original piece here:
It brought to mind a pivotal moment in my life. I recall the impact my Aunt Mitzie had on my life. It's something I never actually told her about.

I was 10 years old and had read a Robert Frost poem in school. We were studying the poets and for some reason his poem Fire and Ice just spoke to me. I remember we had to break the poem down and write what it meant to us.

I decided to try my own hand at poetry. My Aunt was staying with us at the time and I showed her my poem. She praised my youthful attempt and encouraged me to keep writing poems. I began writing more and more poems and giving them to my Aunt Mitzie. She would continue to build me up with each poem I gave her.

One day she asked me to put one of the poems I gave her in a drawer for her. When I opened it up, I saw every poem I had given her. She kept them all. I remember how taken aback I was, but also how loved I felt. She never said a word about it but occasionally I would peek into the drawer to see if they were still there. They always were.

My desire to write increased and over the years I moved away from poetry and began writing devotionals, articles and now conducting interviews with others.

It all began with a word spoken in love.

I should call my Aunt.

That's my story. What is yours?
Here is a video of Wess Stafford talking about the power of another such moment:



Why not check out the website for Just a Minute and pick up a copy of the book while you are at it. Wess Stafford has asked that all of the author proceeds be given to Compassion International.

Hey, while you are at it, why not sponsor a child as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really incredible story. So powerful! Thanks for re-posting it :)

K.L. said...

Loved reading your story in the book, and also reading it again here! After reading Just A Minute, I have been much more intentional about making time in my life to give love and attention to children--my own teenagers, a friend's preschoolers, even children I don't know but happen to encounter in my daily life.