1/26/12

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler - A Book Review


The Emancipation of Robert Sadler was a book I could not put down. When this book was first offered to me for review, I chose to accept based on the co-author. Marie Chapian wrote a book about a Yugoslavian pastor that my wife and I read more than once and which still holds a position on on our bookshelf. So when I saw she was involved with this book, I decided to give it a spin.

As I read this story, I had to constantly remind myself that it was 1917 that Robert was sold into slavery, not 1863! Fifty four years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert's Dad sold he and his 2 sisters to a plantation owner for $85. Over the next 8 years Robert experienced the worst that mankind has to offer. He was beaten and tortured from the age of FIVE until escaping at the age of 12. He saw friends and family beaten, raped and chased by the KKK.

Thankfully the story does not end there. Robert took a long journey over a hard road but he ended up in the arms of a loving Savior. Robert found forgiveness through Jesus Christ and as a result, he was also able to forgive his slave masters and the father who sold him into it.

Written in 1975 and re-released with some changes, this book is not for the faint of heart. However, it is still timely today when you consider how many children and women are trafficked around the world. This is a book that should be read, shared and discussed and hopefully it will also cause you to want to get involved! There are numerous organizations fighting slavery today. Why not pray about contacting one today?

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments: