8/28/13

The Baby Mobile Illustration


I never put much thought into baby mobiles before.  However, I was consulting with my friend at the Brain Injury Association (Where I am a client in good standing) and she used a baby mobile to talk about how brain injuries impact everyone in the family.  Her point was that if you touch one of the pieces hanging down, all will move and sway.  In that vein, my head injury has caused sway and movement in my family as we have all had to learn coping skills and balance in this new reality.

So what does that have to do with the Body of Christ?

I was reading 1 Corinthians the other day and came across this verse in chapter twelve:

"And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it." (1 Corinthians 12:26)

I was reminded of the baby mobile illustration when I read this.

Sin, that thing we try to hide from others, once revealed, (and let's be honest, it's always revealed), can cause others to suffer as well.  What we do in secret can negatively impact not only us, but everyone around us.  Even a "simple" lie complicates all of our relationships. 

Sickness, pain, fear, you name it... can cause all around us to be shaken and rocked to our core.

The same holds true for positive things as well.

One person in a family becoming a Christian will cause people around them to contemplate their own relationships (or lack thereof) with Christ.  Joy is contagious and as your spirits are lifted, you will also lift the spirits of those around you.

The choices we make can shake our foundations, sometimes to the very core.  They can also change our lives and the lives of those around us.

I like Joshua's challenge to the people of Israel:

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

We all make choices; why not make a choice to live a life pleasing to God?

Then when those around us are moved, it will be for the glory of God!

No comments: